Thursday, October 31, 2013

Progress report

Over on Facebook I've begun posting daily progress reports on the book. Here's what I have for the month: I started the month severely depressed and barely wrote anything for the first two weeks. I'd keep from completely falling into the whole by hunting for biographical material on some of my mammoth writers and doing some translations.

I finally got myself moving again about two weeks ago. That's when I decided to start putting up my daily reports. I work best when I have small deadlines and an audience that I don't want to disappoint. I'm going to keep this up as an experiment and see if it keeps me focussed and movong quickly. Maybe I'll start weekly reports here on the blogs.

For October:
  • I've written about 10,000 usable words.
  • That includes an entire chapter (admittedly a short one).
  • I put a nice dent into another chapter.
  • I think I figured out the solution to an organizational problem that has been bothering me.
  • That third early occurrence of the word "mammoth" in print? The other two were just trivia; I think this one is important.
Well, what do you think? Is a weekly or monthly progress report something I should add the blogs (daily would be a bit much)?

6 comments:

Porlock Junior said...

Sounds like a fine idea. Glad you're back and progressing.

Koffix Blocker said...

My system is: I create the (provisonal) names of chapters, then I start to fill them with rough ideas and sentences. That will eventually evolve into nice chapters. Then the rewriting starts.

I hope you will funfill your dream of publishing a book about these mammals.

ps: you did read the very interesting theories about the extinction of mammoths from Immanuel Velikovsky?

Graeme said...

weekly progress report at least.

Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

My vote: as often as you like, but at least every week or two.

The Ridger, FCD said...

Every couple of weeks is great. I'm pulling for you to get this thing in print!

Gav said...

Be careful writing about the book doesn't get in the way of ...

Anyway, whatever works. Really looking forward to reading, even buying, the published version.