Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Great minds and all that
I just had a brilliant idea about how to break the Senate deadlock over which interogation techniques should be legal and which should not. Unfortunately, Joe in DC already had that idea> I hate it when people steal my ideas before I have them.

Anyway, here's Joe:
I have a suggestion. Today's Washington Post gives a rundown on some of the techniques being debated:
While it is not clear exactly what techniques the White House wishes to keep, sources have said those previously used include nakedness, prolonged sensory assault and deprivation, the imposition of "stress" positions, and water submersion to the verge of drowning. Bush has said none of those amounts to torture.

Since the White House says what it's doing isn't torture, they need to set up a demonstration. Take someone like Karl Rove or Ken Mehlman, and apply some of those techniques. Do it on live TV (although no nakedness from either..ick). I wonder what kind of confessions could be wrangled from those two after a little waterboarding. Their boss says it's not torture.

I think I can offer one improvement. Although I think we should waterboard Karl Rove just for being Karl, I'm not that sure that he's not just enough of an extremist to take one for the team. It's important to make sure that the Senators themselves understand just what's at stake. I propose that the Senators who are in favor of the White House's position demonstrate to their doubting peers that there is nothing wrong with this. Afterwards, they can all go out and blow off some steam by playing fraternity pranks on Rush Limbaugh.

No comments: