Monday, October 31, 2005

Not gloating, not me
I've noticed an interesting message from some liberal or Democratic bloggers and talking heads over the last few days. There is a narrative that goes like this: "We should not be happy over the indictment of Scooter Libby. What Scooter did was a very bad thing for America. When bad things happen to America, we should be somber and serious. Look at my sad face; that's how somber and serious I am."

You've probably guessed that I don't agree with that assessment. I can understand that some people were made uncomfortable by the gloating and the whole Fitzmas schtick in Left Blogistan. That's their right and they don't have to participate if they don't want to. Aside from the purely partisan glee at seeing the other side take a couple of lumps (and that is a perfectly legitimate glee), we should be happy that someone is likely to pay for doing damage to America. A bad guy was caught. The system still works. They haven't managed to completely subvert justice in this country. These are things to celebrate. If we should be somber and serious, it should be because so many of Libby's co-conspirators remain unindicted and because no one was indicted for the actual crime.

You can be serious or happy as you want. As for me, I'm going to enjoy a little more tactless gloating before I get somber and serious about our remaining problems.

No comments: